[clue-tech] Sending an email at a scheduled time?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Tue May 16 22:34:20 MDT 2006

Using MS Outlook, I can set the options for an email message to 'not
send before xyz date and time'.  After I set this option, I hit the send
button and the message gets stored in my out box.  Then automagically,
it is sent at the specified time.

There are times when I want to do this from Linux.

I know I could use cron, but it's not convenient to compose an email in
thunderbird or kmail and then try to send it via a cron script.

Also, I'm not looking to send a batch of emails to many people.  There
are many tools to do this already - we use Constant Contact, for
example, to send opt-in newsletters to clients.

In this case, I want to send a particular type of email to certain
people during business hours - but I'm away from my Linux box at the
time I want to send it [since I have a day job...].

I'm not sure if this is dependent on the MTA features or MUA features.

Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Jeff