[clue-tech] Sending an email at a scheduled time?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Sat May 20 10:18:37 MDT 2006

> I know I could use cron, but it's not convenient to compose an email in
> thunderbird or kmail and then try to send it via a cron script.
>
> In this case, I want to send a particular type of email to certain
> people during business hours - but I'm away from my Linux box at the
> time I want to send it [since I have a day job...].

One slightly less onerous utility would be "at" which is like cron,
except you specify a single time for an event to execute.

1. Compose your message in a text file (e.g., mymessage.txt)
2. Place a command to execute in another file: (e.g., mymailcommand.txt):
   mail -s "My message subject" me at me.com,you at you.com <mymessage.txt
3. Tell "at" what to do:
   bash$ at -f mymailcommand.txt 08:30

-TAG