[clue-tech] Sending an email at a scheduled time?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat May 20 11:09:24 MDT 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
[...]
> I know I could use cron, but it's not convenient to compose an email in
> thunderbird or kmail and then try to send it via a cron script.

Does it have to be composed in one of these?  Does this have to be a
general facility usable by kmail/thunderbird users?

If not, I think you put the mail in a file and use at or cron to pass it
to your MTA.  There are a number of ways to do this.

Otherwise I haven't seen a way to handle this.  But here are some ideas.

I think you need a service that sits between the MUA and MTA and reads a
custom header to deliver the mail.  You could do that by hacking your
(or a simpler) MTA.

You could also probably set up a special mail address on your MTA and
have mail delivered to a procmail or other script that will resend the
message after a delay.

You could also hack up your MUA to add this feature.

Maybe that jogs someone's memory about utilities that would be helpful.