[clue-tech] postfix

Jeff Cann president at cluedenver.org
Sun May 21 09:10:48 MDT 2006

Adam bultman wrote:
> Are you asking for a HOWTO, or are you simply asking for methods of
> selectively permitting relaying?
Adam,

I was asking for both, but your links led me to the right HowTo:

 + http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

I didn't understand that SASL was what I needed to turn on for the
'smtpd_recipient_restrictions' directive.  For the record, it was
simple.  To my 'smtp_recipient_restrictions', I needed to add
'permit_sasl_authenticated:

Before:
  smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks reject_unauth_destination

After:

   smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination

What confuses me is that postfix can be a client in certain
circumstances, so I was trying to do this [didn't work, obviously]:

  smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated

When in fact, the smtp_client_restrictions is not for the MUA 'client',
but postfix [the server] running as a 'client'.  Still not clear on how
postfix is used as a client, but I haven't read that part of the docs.

Thanks!
Jeff