[clue-tech] 64-bit software use

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Thu May 25 21:30:34 MDT 2006

>> Most of my computer use is for web-browsing, email, writing, and some
>> small programming and databasing. Would it benefit me to run a 64-bit OS
>> and software? I am currently using Fedora Core 5, and would continue to
>> do so in its 64-bit version.

I had heard that when using a 64 bit OS, you need twice the memory just to
run the same programs. But I'm having trouble verifying that.

Other than that, the only benefit I know of is that the 64bit OSes can use
more than 4GB of memory. Not a big deal for a laptop.

So, I wouldn't do it unless you had a specific reason for using it.

Erik Z