[clue-tech] Can't get wirelessly connected with new laptop

katanacb at comcast.net katanacb at comcast.net
Fri Nov 17 17:38:39 MST 2006

> There's no DHCP server running on your AP?

Actually, there is .. my main machine and the laptop connect to the router / AP just fine when they are  "wired" it's just wireless on this particular laptop that is only able to authenticate with the AP by sending the correct key,  but then times out while running the DHCPDISCOVER process.

The wireless card is definitely suppored under Linux according to linux-laptop.net and ipw3945.sf.net.

So I've played with this some more today, and found out a few interesting things.  I upgraded the ipw3945 firmware (shipped with Ubuntu, SuSE 10.1, and FC6 as I did some distro hopping) to the latest version, and that would allow me to connect to any unsecured wireless network, but I can't connect to my own AP when the AP uses WPA_PSK for it's authentication mechanism.

I haven't tried WEP or other authentication methods to see if it's just an issue with WPA_PSK here, but according to some forums I've read this card should support WPA_PSK out of the box :-/.

I still see the "Wireless PC connected" and "Authentication Successful" messages on the AP's logs, but a DHCP request is either never received (even tho the Laptop says it's sending one) at the AP or the AP is ignoring the request.  My guess is it's the former ... but I don't know how to turn on any verbose debugging to see what the matter might be .. and there are a lot of moving parts (firmware, wpa_supplicant, NetworkManger, etc).  Maybe I can put some sort of trace on the process(es) and see where things might be amiss?

Again, this worked fine with my old laptop (and even with my PDA) so it's something with the driver, dhcdbd, or wpa_supplicant, so that's what is so frustrating about this.

Cheers,
Chris