[clue-tech] nfs export and firewall issue

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:05:44 MDT 2006

On 10/1/06, Ski Dawg <skidawg at skidawg.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am setting up a new system for use as a testing/demo/trial-and-error
> system. I have installed CentOS 4.4 on it. There is not an
> X-environment, so I will need to fix this from the command line (via ssh
> access).
>
> I am trying to do an nfs export from this box to another on my internal
> home network. I have figured out that it is a firewall issue on the
> CentOS box (I turn off the CentOS firewall and the mount works).

I'll look this up at work on Monday. The default setting for NFS and
RPC-related stuff is to use random ports which makes it nearly
impossible to allow though a firewall. If you set the right parameters
you can tie down the used ports and easily write firewall rules. We
have RHEL4 (=CentOS4) systems at work, but I can't  remember the
parameters without a cheatsheet.

--
Collins Richey