[clue-tech] nfs export and firewall issue

Ski Dawg skidawg at skidawg.org
Sun Oct 1 19:12:58 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 18:05 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> I'll look this up at work on Monday. The default setting for NFS and
> RPC-related stuff is to use random ports which makes it nearly
> impossible to allow though a firewall. If you set the right parameters
> you can tie down the used ports and easily write firewall rules. We
> have RHEL4 (=CentOS4) systems at work, but I can't  remember the
> parameters without a cheatsheet.

Collins,

Thanks for the offer, but I got it figured out this evening (with some
help from the CentOS list).

Here is what I needed to do:
In /etc/sysconfig/nfs:
STATD_PORT=4000
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT=4004
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4001
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4001
MOUNTD_PORT=4002

And in the firewall open port 4000:4004 (for above), and then open ports
2049 for nfsd and 111 for portmap.

After doing those, that allowed me to mount it on my other system.
--
Doug