[clue-tech] Ubuntu -> moving to xscreensaver

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 6 17:54:51 MDT 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:55:27 -0600
Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I found a link to doing this on ubuntuforums.org, but it appears to be
> down right now. Has anyone else done something like this, and how did it
> go?

Well, on FC4/KDE it was easy, and well worth it. I dunno why the KDE folks
made kscreensaver so brain-dead.

The only problem I've noted with xscreensaver is that the GUI has
checkboxes for non-existent options on some of the screensaver programs.
But you can tweak the command line in the "advanced" pane, so it's easy to
deal with.

The process is the same concept under KDE or Gnome. You disable all the
screensaver stuff, and then add xscreensaver to your startup list. Can't
tell you how to do that with Gnome, though. Then run xscreensaver-demo to
set your options. You can manually edit the ~/.xscreensaver file, but the
gui you get from xscreensaver-demo is quite fine, except as noted above.
Once you've got the config file set up, you might find a few things easier
to tweak by editing the ~/.xscreensaver file manually, but definitely use
the demo program to fiddle with the options for, and select, the
screensaver programs you want to use.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/