[clue-tech] php/postgres problem on Ubuntu 6.06

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 15:12:33 MDT 2006

I just finished a complete reinstall of my Kubuntu 6.06 system due to
a LiveCD installer bug that rendered my primary disk unusable for new
partitions (bug filed with Ubuntu - when adding new partitions the
installer chops the available space in an extended partition!!!). As
an aside, in futureI will only use the alternative installation disk
which uses the tried and true Debian text installer.

Anyhow, after reinstalling my favorite packages including php5,
postgresql8.1, apache, and mysql5.0, I decided to implement by
Mediawiki setup using the postgres option. This led to a number of
discoveries. Mediawiki requires the tsearch2 functionality that is
included in the postgres8.1-contrib package, and a postgres pqsql
language definition must be added. Thanks to Google for these
solutions. After those corrections, I was able to complete the
Mediawiki initialization, but when I tried to start Mediawiki, the
program was unable to connect to the database (pg_connect function not
recognized). It turned out that php-pgsql was not loading (ie no
pg_xxx functions) After many hours of Googling and Foruming, I finally
found a hint - reinstall the php packages. So I did

apt-get install --reinstall php5-pgsql

and lo and behold, the problem disappeared.

That's a super bummer. I don't know whether Debian or Ubuntu packaging
is at fault, but the fact that you don't get the same results from
installing a package twice is maddening.

Just an FYI to file away if you go down this path.

--
Collins Richey