[clue-tech] How to repair an overlapped partition

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 09:13:26 MDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. Does fdisk REALLY do nothing to any of the other partitions if I
> > delete and reallocate hda3? Can I be sure that such an operation will
> > not destory anything else on the disk?
>
> Obviously, I can try it out without actually rewriting the partition table.

Hmmm, that appears to work. If I delete partition 3, then select new,
fdisk is smart enough to know  that only a primary partition is
possible. fidsk still calculates the wrong starting cylinder 5755, but
if I enter 5756 andthenaccept the ending cylinder address (it's
correct), I get the desired results - overlap gone.

Think I will do some backups before writing the new partition layout,
chicken heart that I am.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Collins Richey