[clue-tech] How to repair an overlapped partition

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Sep 9 13:08:12 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 9/9/06, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > 1. Does fdisk REALLY do nothing to any of the other partitions if I
>> > delete and reallocate hda3? Can I be sure that such an operation will
>> > not destory anything else on the disk?
>>
>> Obviously, I can try it out without actually rewriting the partition
>> table.
>>

> Hmmm, that appears to work. If I delete partition 3, then select new,
> fdisk is smart enough to know  that only a primary partition is
> possible. fidsk still calculates the wrong starting cylinder 5755, but
> if I enter 5756 andthenaccept the ending cylinder address (it's
> correct), I get the desired results - overlap gone.
>
> Think I will do some backups before writing the new partition layout,
> chicken heart that I am.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I guess I don't know from looking at
fdisk code, but I've done a lot of partition manipulation with it, and
I've never experienced it touching anything except for the partition
table for the primary partitions.  Extended partitions are different, I
think we discovered a while back on this list that extended partitions
are a "linked list" so it may not work the same.

Hope everything works!