[clue-tech] fonts suck

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Sat Sep 9 19:44:19 MDT 2006

The heavens stretched forth and Jeff Cann decreed the following on or
about 9/9/2006 6:49 PM:
> All,
>
> I'm not certain what I did to mess up my fonts under Fedora Core 4.
> However, most of them look terrible for even default KDE 3 apps.  In
> particular the menu fonts are hard to read.  I removed my .kde directory
> to reset defaults and still it looks the same.
>
> I then thought perhaps my recently-purchased flat panel was the issue.
> But, I plugged in my work laptop [windows] and it looks clean and clear.
>
> Maybe my card is the issue?  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot from
> here.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Well, in my experience the anti-aliasing controls in kcontrol can often
be a problem.  I've solved bad fonts in KDE apps before by:

going to kcontrol, deselecting the anti-aliasing, applying and exiting

It's helped for me before.

Oh, and as a rhetorical question, why did no one ever tell me about
Terminus:

http://www.is-vn.bg/hamster/jimmy-en.html

and if you did why didn't you pester me more?  It's the first bitmap
font I actually enjoy using!  If you're on FC5, it's now in the Extras
repo and I'm sure it's in every other one.  Finally I can gain back the
performance hit I had while using an anti-aliased TTF font in the terminals.

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/