[clue-tech] How to repair an overlapped partition

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:29:20 MDT 2006

On 9/9/06, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1   *         534        5755    41943040+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> > /dev/hda2               1         533     4281291    b  W95 FAT32
> > /dev/hda3            5755        5877      982639+   b  W95 FAT32

Howto answers follow.

In any case it's my disk, and I will leave it the way the Windows
dweebs at Gateway created it. I'm pretty sure without investigating
that I don't need hda2 for anything, but it needs to be the first
physical partition for some weird ass Gateway recovery reason, and
hda1 needs to be the first numbered partition because of the Windows
preference for that sort of thing.

I'm sure I'll boot Windows maybe twice a year, so both partitions are
basically boat anchors.
Since I have something like 94G unused space on the drive and at least
60G on my second drive (enough space for at least another 10 distros
to add to the 4 I maintain at present), I'm not overly concerned about
the waste of space. I'll just ignore the "Partition table entries are
not in disk order" message..

--
Collins Richey