[clue-tech] remote X (forward) on gentoo amd64

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Sep 11 11:00:50 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 10:12 -0600, J. Joseph Benavidez wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2006 6:33 am, Dave Price wrote:
> > I have always been able to remote X apps by doing
> > xhost +  (I know it is not secure)
> > ssh -X remotehost
> > ... run my X app, like eclipse, and it shows on my desktop
> > For some reason, this is not working on gentoo/amd64
> >
> Instead of the -X flag, try the -Y flag. I haven't really taken the time to
> figure out the difference, but I just always do -Y now.

Not sure if someone else mentioned this already (wasn't following the
you need to configure it to allow remote connections.  I got tired of
trying to remember how to do this, so I put it on my blog:

http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=69

I would think that ssh's -Y option would open you up to wire snoops
while -X helps keep you protected.  Behind a firewall, -Y might be okay.
I use -X and configure GDM to allow the connections.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-msue.org                           http://graphics-muse.org