[clue-tech] Qwest wireless networking

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 23:55:34 MDT 2006

Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 (desktop) and I have Qwest DSL with the wireless modem (Actiontec).  I trying to set up the wireless feature.  When I fire up a laptop with a wireless card it can see that there is a wireless modem in the area.  But, from my desktop, when I navigate to 192.168.0.1 to configure the modem I get a "connection refused" error.
Jason,

What is the output of this command?   $ /sbin/ifconfig -a

It sounds to me like you are not actually connected to your network.
You may be connected to your neighbor's or not connected at all.  What
is the ESSID of the network[s] you see in the area?  Did you configure
ESSID [aka network name] from the actiontec web interface?  Do you have
security [e.g., wep] turned on?

Typically with the actiontec devices, you have to enable wireless
settings in the web interface [that you see when you connect to
192.168.0.1] from a computer that is physically connected [with a wire]
to the device.  This is what I had to do to enable wireless on my Qwest
actiontec device.

HTH
Jeff