Fwd: [clue-tech] resolver question

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 06:03:16 MDT 2006

I use qwest DSL also -

My (in)action(not)tec device appears to be set up as a caching DNS
server - however my experience and some tests have shown that it is
not a very good one.

I have taken to using the following script to start my laptop when I
boot it at this location:

[davep at ldpx:~]$ cat bin/go
#!/bin/bash
sudo /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
sudo /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid "ACTIONTEC"
sudo /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key "*localwepkey*"
sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo /sbin/dhclient  wlan0
#sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0
sudo cp /etc/resolv.bev /etc/resolv.conf
sleep 10
sudo service openvpn start
sleep 5
startx

and ...

[davep at ldpx:~]$ cat /etc/resolv.bev
search myworkdomain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 205.171.3.65
nameserver 205.171.2.65

(of course, you want to put in your own wep key and search domain)
I am running CentOS and have the standard bind.i386 package installed
- the other 2 resolvers are backups which I gleaned from a windows box
booted off the same DSL modem.

You may not need the openvpn client either, but that is how I start
here, with pauses to slow things down, and ifconfig lines to give
feedback that I have a wireless link and dhcp lease ...

The key is overwriting the /etc/resolv.conf that dhclient creates - it
would point to 192.168.0.1, and disregard the fact that I am running
bind locally, and know about 2 other DNS servers as well.  Before this
tweak, web access was flakey at best.

I boot to a CLI login, and not always on this network.

If you use a graphical login, and always boot into the same LAN, you
might put this into  rc.local or something similar.

I hope this helps ...

aloha,
dave