[clue-tech] resolver question

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 17 10:05:18 MDT 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
[...]
> But, on further reflection, it seems like the first name server
> [192.168.0.1] is supposed to go to my LAN router [since it's the network
> address] and then into the great beyond.  Am I understanding this
> correctly?  If this is the case, why won't name server queries work
> consistently?

The Actiontec works as a DNS cache (or maybe proxy).  It seems not to
deal well with AAAA (IPv6) queries, IIRC.  So perhaps convincing your
apps not to make those will help.  Or skipping the Actiontec like you have.

Is there a setting to disable the Actiontec DNS stuff but still leave
the DNS dynamic?  QWest's end of your DSL connection will tell the
router what servers to use and if you make them static you won't pick up
any changes (which happened about 2 years ago).