[clue-tech] Re: Upstart/shutdown

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 10:46:56 MDT 2006

On 9/17/06, Joey Stanford <joey at stan4d.net> wrote:
> Collins (et al),
>

> To echo my previous comments, Dapper is the long term supported release,

Yes, well known. My primary desktop is LTS. The only disadvantage:
even with BACKPORTS (unless you know something that I don't) LTS will
age rapidly. This is fine for a server, but not so fine for a desktop
environment. Do you really think that much effort will go into
BACKPORTS to Dapper? If so, I've missed that directive. Maybe you have
the inside scoop.

> Edgy will not be quite as stable (and I dare say Edgy +1 will be in the
> same category).

Edgy is very definitely Alpha software. One thing the developers
slipped in. Edgy now offers something called vim-tiny instead of the
real vim, and it's poorly (read: not at all) configured, so it
functions as a rather broken 'vi'.

> As a side note, the release of Firefox Bon Echo Beta 2 seems to have
> fixed that nasty bug I was seeing at the meeting.

Beta 2 giveth and taketh away. There is no shortage of "opportunities"
with the new release. Not all plugins work, and import of old
bookmarks doesn't either. A few people have noted that they can't even
reach https sites because of plugin incompatibilities.

--
Collins Richey