[clue-tech] Shoot other foot

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Tue Sep 19 11:37:55 MDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:14:09PM -0400, Jack Parker wrote:
> How in the heck?  FC4 was locked up this morning.  Rebooted only to get
> Something like this:
>
> ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
> exec of init (/sbin/init) failed!!!!: 2
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Googling around, nothing very useful, but then going into rescue mode I see
> that my root device is toast.  Other partitions (boot, swap, opt) are ok,
> but fsck can't find the superblock on /dev/sda3 - which is of course root.

Did fsck check for the back up superblock?  I can't recall if it does
this automatically.

... and I've had things like this happen when hardware begins its slow
spiral to the junk heap.  So you may not want to completely discount
hardware failure.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

If they want really buzzword-compliant "redundancy" they could add
another exchange server as part of a "cluster" of "Windows 2003"
servers with "active directory" so that when things break they
break spectacularly.