[clue-tech] removing foot with gunfire.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 19:21:45 MDT 2006

On 9/19/06, Jack Parker <jack.parker4 at verizon.net> wrote:

> (follow up on losing / disk and rebuilding)

[ long tail of woe snipped ]

I've been involved in the barrel to foot exercise a few times recently.
My suggestions:

1) Thorough memcheck86 - replace if failing

2) Thorough analysis of harddrive(s) - replace if failing

3) Check case/harddrive temps if disk has failed. I don't know the
true cutoff, but 50 deg C. will definitely shorten disk life
dramatically. Many systems do not have adequate cooling.

4) When rebuilding, I keep a large separate /common partition where
the bulk of my useful data is stored. This gets mounted at
/home/common (/home is very small) and symlinked to the common area.
Only Desktop and hidden files are permitted in /home/<me>. Important
for backup and for running multiple distros so that the differing
kde/gnome/etc. have their own dedicated hidden files. The only file in
this mess I back up is
~/.mozilla/.firefox/<whateveer>.default/bookmarks.html, although you
fans of other browsers might want to find where your bookmarks are
kept.

5) I haven't gotten around to this yet, but putting your /etc
directory under cvs or subversion control would be a really good idea.
Alternatively keep some directories in the common area to store the
/etc/files you actually mess with.

6) Really should be number 1. Keep a journal of what you have done.
You'll be really glad when the system goes boom and you need to
reinstall.

7) I really need a good scheme for keeping the actual mysql and
postgres and oracle databases in a common place, too. Perhaps someone
would like to contribute an article on that topic. Lots of symlinks, I
presume. <rant> Why in blazes did unix/linux idiots come up with the
concept of storing databases under /var along with all the
self-healing data that belongs in /var </rant>

8) Disk drives are really cheap and so are the external USB cases for
IDE drives, and mounting a USB drive is a non-event any more, so
develop a good backup scheme - early and often. I won't leave the USB
drives continuously mounted, because I don't trust the cooling (or
total lack thereof).

My $.02.

--
Collins Richey