[clue-tech] removing foot with gunfire.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Sep 19 20:24:21 MDT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:21:45 -0600
Collins Richey wrote:

> 7) I really need a good scheme for keeping the actual mysql and
> postgres and oracle databases in a common place, too. Perhaps someone
> would like to contribute an article on that topic. Lots of symlinks, I
> presume. <rant> Why in blazes did unix/linux idiots come up with the
> concept of storing databases under /var along with all the
> self-healing data that belongs in /var </rant>

No, no symlinks needed. I don't have the answers off the top of my head,
but last time I was in the mood for doing so, I found it fairly easy to
put MySQL database files someplace else. I think it can be either a param
in the mysql.conf file, or a command-line option when starting MySQL.

Oracle's data files can go wherever you want them to. Look at the 'create
database' command for setting locations for the control files, and some
others too, I think. Haven't done one for a while, but I think you can
specify the redo log location, and the archive log location at create
time. The init file for any particular database will have the location of
those files too. I should brush up on this stuff. As for the location of
the database files themselves, check out the "create tablespace" command,
and you'll see you can specify the location of your tablespaces -- even to
the point of distributing a single tablespace across multiple drives.

Can't help you with PostreSQL, but I'd be mighty surprised if you can't
relocate its data files from /var.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/