[clue-tech] Spontaneously rebooting laptop

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 13:19:21 MDT 2006

Hm, looks like I may be returning this laptop, although I'd like to
determine the cause if possible. It's Costco, so I doubt I have to build a
case or anything due to their policy.

Here is the symptom: I run dvd::rip, and start to transcode a movie, and
somewhere during the transcode step, the laptop reboots. At first I thought
it *might* have been because I put the duo core kernel linux-smp-686 on, so
I tried booting with the original ubuntu kernel and ran transcode again -
eventually it happens again. In fact, I haven't been able to transcode
any long movie. Transcode is pretty CPU intensive.

I'm running memtest86 right now since Ubuntu put that option into the grub
boot menu.

I understand that can take several hours until any potential problems are
found. Assuming it doesn't find anything, are there good (free) suites that
test various things? An extra bonus if it runs under Windows too, because
I'd like to see if Windows reboots as well...

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
I am convinced that the majority of people would be generous from selfish
motives, if they had the opportunity.
-Charles Dudley Warner, "My Summer in a Garden"