[clue-tech] a network mystery - traceroute

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Apr 2 18:52:49 MDT 2007

Bruce Ediger wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Collins Richey wrote:
>
>> One of the bits of data they like to see posted is a traceroute to the
>> comcast.net site. Here comes the mystery. I get different results on
>> window and Linux. Both computers re on a hub behind the cable modem,
>> so only the private ip address of each is different.
>
> I hope I'm not repeating what someone else has posted, I tried to follow
> all the other emails in this thread, but...
>
> Doesn't Windows "tracert" use ICMP packets, which Linux "traceroute"
> uses UDP packets (at least by default)?

Yes, that's the most likely explanation for the mystery.

Thanks to Collins for the chance to post an April Fool.  Pity that
corporate anti-linux conspiracy and slander of Free Software hackers
doesn't raise any eyebrows.  But seriously, "Windows tags traceroute
packets"?!

Maybe I just need to find a new LUG where people are more excitable.
Or I need to learn how to write.  Sigh.