[clue-tech] DNS lookups take a looooooong time SOLVED!

katanacb at comcast.net katanacb at comcast.net
Tue Apr 3 16:15:47 MDT 2007

I just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

I got my DNS lookup problem solved this afternoon ..... I came home a little early and decided to poke around inside the router's setup and configuration before I boxed the thing up and tried to do an exchange at MicroCenter.  In going through the setup, I noticed that there was a little checkbox that said I could either use a router's mac address, my computer's mac address, or a specific MAC address (on the internet side of the router).....

Just for giggles, I un-checked 'use the router one' and checked 'use the computer one' ... bounced both the router and the cable modem and ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM things resolve as they should.   *Does the happy dance in his office chair*  Just to make sure this wasn't a freak thing, I changed it back to 'use the router one', bounced both the router and the cable modem and DNS lookups indeed took 10-20 seconds as I was seeing before.

So, if any of you have a similar problem with this router, try making that change and see if it helps you.

Now ... off to upgrade from Dapper 64-bit  to Feisty 64-bit     :)

-Chris