[clue-tech] DNS lookups take a looooooong time SOLVED!

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Apr 3 18:48:50 MDT 2007

katanacb at comcast.net wrote:
> I just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
> I got my DNS lookup problem solved this afternoon ..... I came home a little early and decided to poke around inside the router's setup and configuration before I boxed the thing up and tried to do an exchange at MicroCenter.  In going through the setup, I noticed that there was a little checkbox that said I could either use a router's mac address, my computer's mac address, or a specific MAC address (on the internet side of the router).....
> Just for giggles, I un-checked 'use the router one' and checked 'use the computer one' ... bounced both the router and the cable modem and ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM things resolve as they should.   *Does the happy dance in his office chair*  Just to make sure this wasn't a freak thing, I changed it back to 'use the router one', bounced both the router and the cable modem and DNS lookups indeed took 10-20 seconds as I was seeing before.
> So, if any of you have a similar problem with this router, try making that change and see if it helps you.
> Now ... off to upgrade from Dapper 64-bit  to Feisty 64-bit     :)

Ah.. You shouldn't have to spoof your MAC address.  This situation can
typically be solved by doing a full reboot of the cable modem (unplug
for 10 seconds) any time you change the device on the Lan side.  It will
usually cache the MAC address it finds when it boots up and give you all
kinds of issues it you change devices without a full reboot each time.

You will usually also find that you'll get a new IP address assigned
with each device/MAC change.
-Ken