[clue-tech] DNS lookups take a looooooong time SOLVED!

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 16:28:02 MDT 2007

The reason that is the case is that Comcast assigns a dynamic IP address based on a MAC address.  This is most likely to prevent people from stealing the service.  One of the benefits is that if your neighborhood isn't saturated with subscribers, for all intents and purposes, you get a static IP address.

So unless you tell the technician to register your router's MAC address during
installation, the tech, or more specifically, the software used, will register
your computer's NIC instead.  I think this is how the self-installation kit works, too.  The technician knows a backdoor for registering the MAC address so you don't have to deal with the branded Comcast software.

Router firmware allows you to spoof a MAC address to get around this limitation.  Of course you can always make a phone call and they can re-register the MAC for you.