[clue-tech] Re: Fix for dhcpcd resolver?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:59:10 MDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Collins,
>
> We didn't talk about this last night.  Any info you have, I would
> appreciate reading.

I'm forwarding to clue-tech, since others may be interested.

I'm not sure how much of this is applicable for a laptop, but my goal
was to insure that I use the desired DNS servers for my desktop
system. If you are using dhcp instead of a fixed ip address, here's
how to substitute your own setup for the servers chosen by your isp.

On debian/ubuntu systems, dhclient is used, and the configuration file
is in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.

There are 2 ways to prevent dhclient from picking your dns servers:

1. Setup your own /etc/resolv.conf and remove domain-name-servers from
the following parameter. I haven't actually tried this, but a
long-time debian heavy has insured me that this will work.

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

2. Insure that /etc/resolv.conf will be written with your choice of
parameters (what I have done). Uncomment the following parameters and
tailor for your system

supersede domain-name "cerpc3";
supersede domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;

Use your fully qualified hostname (my system does not use a domain
name, so it's a short hostname)

The servers listed above are opendns (google for info). Users on the
Comcast forum recommend these.

On my system, this results in the following /etc/resolv.conf

search cerpc3
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

Since my system has a gateway that points to my hub/cable modem, it
works just fine for me.

HTH,

--
Collins Richey