[clue-tech] Ubuntu Fixes

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 07:07:07 MDT 2007

On 4/24/07, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
> Hoping to save somebody some time here.
>
> 1) "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new" installs a recent nvidia driver
> 2) "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable" enables the glx driver, by changing
> Driver in the Device section of xorg.conf from "nv" to "nvidia"
> 3) Now X won't start, because it also adds 'BusID "PCI:1:5:0"' whether
> or not that's really the BusID of your card.
> 3) The BusID does not need to be specified, and deleting the line allows
> X to startup OK again.  (Maybe it's needed for multiple-video-adapter
> configurations?)
> 4) Your Modes lines have been replaced by "1024x768" and lower.  Change
> all Modes lines to include only the resolutions you use.
> 5) Now, you still can't turn on "Desktop Effects" or Beryl, because when
> you do the window decorations disappear. In order to turn on Beryl or
> "Desktop Effects" (which is Compiz, I think), you'll need to "sudo
> nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals", which adds 'Option
> "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"' to Screen "Default Screen" section of
> xorg.conf.
>
> Now, you can turn on "Desktop Effects" or apt-get Beryl.  If you go with
> the latter, let me recommend that you apt-get "emerald-themes" too, so
> that you will have access to the uber-cool "Scaled_Black_Mod" theme.

Alternately, if this is Ubuntu Feisty, you can click on the restricted
drivers icon, enable the Nvidia driver, and then go to the System
menu, click on Desktop Effects and click on "Enable desktop effects."

You may need to add compiz and its dependent packages as well using Synaptic.

At least, that's how it worked for me.

Best,

Zonker
--