[clue-tech] CentOS 5 update problems

Dan Poler dpoler at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 10:42:42 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 09:36 -0700, Mark G. Harvey wrote:
> A question for CentOS gurus ...
>
> My background ... I'm using CentOS for the first time.  I'm experienced in other distros,
> particularly SuSE.  Used to use RedHat back in version 8 & 9.
>
> The problem ... Did a fresh install of CentOS 5 into a Virtual Machine.  All seems normal &
> the update monitor even detects that 40+ updates are available.  The trouble is that when
> using Package Updater, it bombs saying it can't find the mirror servers to receive the
> updates.

If you do a 'service yum-updatesd stop' and a 'yum update' from the
command line what's that do for you? Can you provide a cut and paste of
the errors if that errors out?

Do you have repo entries in /etc/yum.repos.d/* ?

Getting blocked by a firewall somewhere along the way?

dap

--
Dan Poler, RHCE
Senior Consultant