[clue-tech] CentOS 5 update problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 21 11:59:29 MDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:06:29 -0700 (PDT)
markgharvey at yahoo.com ("Mark G. Harvey") wrote:

> Dan,
>
> At this point, I'm thinking about downloading the DVD .iso from a
> different mirror than my original .iso so as to avoid any
> corruptions.  The trouble is that my original .iso passed the md5sum
> test and other mirror sites have the exact same DVD .iso file!  So it
> may not do me any good.
> ...snipp...

Well, I don't think that will help.

I think the problem here is that there is a proxy in the way and it's
not handling the mirror redirection right.

See:

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
(question 5)

If you edit your /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files, comment the mirrorlist=
line (with a # at the beginning of the line), and add a baseurl= line
pointing to a single site, does it work?

> Been trying to figure out what values are in these variables:
> $releasever  $basearch

$releasever is filled in by your release... you are using centos5, so
it's a "5". $basearch is your machine arch, so i386 or x86_64 or ppc or
whatever type of machine you have.

kevin