No subject

Thu Dec 20 21:04:13 MST 2007

Web-based mail thing out there. Don't know anything about it, have never
used it or even seen it. For IMAP I've used UW-IMAP but there are a
couple others out there you might want to look into that might be more
appropriate for your needs.

> 5. Eventually have an encrypted interface to allow the latop to use
> the browser interface from outside my lan. Maybe this isn't possible
> with the comcast contract?

I doubt Comcast is doing anything to keep this from happening, they
surely didn't when I worked there and it was AT&T Broadband/TCI/@Home.
Sounds like you want to run an SSL server on your Web server. Begin with
creating and using your own certificate, get one from Verisign or
someone later on if you want.

> 6. Have the same setup ready to go as backup on the laptop.

OK.

If I understand you correctly, this seems pretty easy. You'd have a box
that runs an IMAP server and a Web server, this'll become your mail
server. You have several POP3 accounts, you could use fetchmail running
on that box to retrieve that stuff, feed it all into procmail which'd
distribute it to multiple mailboxes & folders. Then, just have your IMAP
server serve out that stuff to as many users as you want. About the
Web-based & SSL stuff, well, RTFM and figure it out. ;) I can't imagine
it'd be that hard to do, though. About fetchmail, I've heard of people
writing little scripts that fire off fetchmail as soon as a user
connects, or as soon as a user logs in, or something similar to that. To
make it easy in the beginning, you could just put it in cron, that'd at
least get you going until you find some condition you'd like to use to
fire off fetchmail to go retrieve mail.

Anyhow, that's my input, feel free to ask away. :)

ct