No subject

Thu Dec 20 21:04:13 MST 2007

I tried to install Debian on a few machines.  It never worked out -- got stalled somewhere in the process each time.  However, it turned out that nothing else installed on these machines either, and they've been salvaged out.  I plan to try it again later on.  We have Woody and Potato, but not Sarge at this point.  So it will be tried only on older machines.

(Since i don't post here often, you might want to know that what i'm doing is running two computer labs for a small private school in Cheyenne.  Between the two labs we have almost 30 machines working at the moment.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Knaddison <greg at knaddison.com>
Sent: Apr 20, 2004 7:17 AM
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Fedora vs Debain

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Maybe I can tolerate the RH branding and filesystem personality.  I
> did so far in the past.  One other thing that has annoyed me is that
> RH treated all their versions of Linux as completely different
> operating systems.  In other words, you never really could "upgrade RH
> 7 to RH 8" without screwing something up.  I wish they would have
> taken that approach.  That is one attractive thing about Debian... I
> feel like you can just upgrade it forever.

Angelo,

Fedora is working to make sure you can move from RH9 to FC1 to FC2.
That is one of the test goals of FC2-test2 which is currently released
for testing (I think I read this in their announcement of the FC2-test2
release).

Based upon your other comments about the ease of picking packages under
RH/FC - I would recommend you stick with Fedora.  They seem to be doing
lots of work towards removing packages that provide duplicate
functionality in favor of "best of breed" applications for each
purpose.  LILO is gone.  pine is gone.  Of course, that doesn't mean you
have to use the package they feel is best of breed...the fedura-users
mailing list has plenty of info about adding in your own packages
including fun stuff like window managers (which may help reduce the
impact of their branding).

Greg