[clue-tech] Kubuntu 7.10 - Adept won't install anything

Richard Knechtel richard.knechtel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 07:11:47 MST 2007

I installed Kubuntu 7.10 this weekend (from the live dvd) - trying to get
off of OpenSuse (since Novell sold out). However The packagemanger (Adept)
from what I can tell just plain sucks. Any package I tried to install just
gave an error saying that the install failed because there was a problem
installing the package or installing the pacakge might have caused a
problem. It doens't give you -any- kind of useful error, doesn't tell you
what in the insall process had the problem. It's like getting stinking error
messages in Windows.... Anyone had this problem before or is Kubuntu just
not a good distro?  So far I'm not impressed with a Debian based distro (my
first use of a "Debian" based distro)...

My system is as follows:
Tyan Tiger K8WE (S2877) mother board
2 X AMD Opteron 275 (dual core) 2.2 GHZ
2 X Sunbeam CR-SW-K8 CPU Cooler
Kingston 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered Server
Memory
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum with media bay.
2 X Segate Barracuda 40 Gig
2 X Segate Barracuda 250 Gig
Acer 50X CD-Rom drive
Lite-On (LH-20AH1) dual layer DVD Burner w/lightscribe - This unit sucks
don't buy it I have had more "coasters" than I EVER had with my Plextor DVD
Burner - I'm dumping this and buying another Plextor....