[clue-tech] Kubuntu 7.10 - Adept won't install anything

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Dec 3 08:11:22 MST 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:11:47 -0600
Richard Knechtel wrote:

> Anyone had this problem before or is Kubuntu just
> not a good distro?

When in the process are you having these problems?

You say you installed from the LiveCD. Did the install finish completely?

If the install finished completely, you can just login in and use some
other tool.

FWIW, I run Kubuntu, and while I'm not yet as comfortable with using apt
as I am with rpm, overall I do think it's better. But I don't care for
adept much. I use synaptic.

If the install completed, open a virtual terminal, and type:
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install {packagename}

Repeat 2nd line for each package you want installed.

Looking through the Ubuntu help for package maintenance will be some
help, though it's thin on details. But from there you can move to more
advanced articles.

BTW, what you've described isn't a problem just with adept. I run into
the "Oh Noes! Did not wurk!" type of error messages all the time,
irrespective of distribution. Seems to be the new GUI way for the Linux
desktop. Hey, let's not confuse the user with error messages they won't
understand anyway.

jed