[clue-tech] Kubuntu 7.10 - Adept won't install anything

Hani Duwaik kiawud at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 08:03:19 MST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 7:11 AM, Richard Knechtel <richard.knechtel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed Kubuntu 7.10 this weekend (from the live dvd) - trying to get
> off of OpenSuse (since Novell sold out). However The packagemanger (Adept)
> from what I can tell just plain sucks. Any package I tried to install just
> gave an error saying that the install failed because there was a problem
> installing the package or installing the pacakge might have caused a
> problem.

The last time Adept stopped working for me, it was because the dpkg database
had become locked/corrupted.  To fix this, you can try a few of the
following (run as root, or using sudo):

rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock (if the file exists and adept/dpkg/synaptic isn't
running)
dpkg --configure -a
dpgk -r

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde-systemsettings/+question/5301
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/7568

NOTE: I don't have access to my Ubuntu system at the moment, so I can't
verify the flags given to 'dpgk' ... please review 'man dpkg' before
executing any of the commands.

HTH,

-Hani

--
"If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will
become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."