[clue-tech] Kubuntu 7.10 - Adept won't install anything

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 3 22:47:36 MST 2007

Richard Knechtel wrote:
> I installed Kubuntu 7.10 this weekend (from the live dvd) - trying to get
> off of OpenSuse (since Novell sold out). However The packagemanger (Adept)
> from what I can tell just plain sucks. Any package I tried to install just
> gave an error saying that the install failed because there was a problem
> installing the package or installing the pacakge might have caused a
> problem. It doens't give you -any- kind of useful error, doesn't tell you
> what in the insall process had the problem. It's like getting stinking error
> messages in Windows.... Anyone had this problem before or is Kubuntu just
> not a good distro?  So far I'm not impressed with a Debian based distro (my
> first use of a "Debian" based distro)...

Well, you might look in /var/log for something that's more helpful.  I'd
also recommend aptitude rather than any of the GUIs or apt-get.  It
takes a little bit to learn but has features not otherwise available.
And if you don't want to learn the curses interface you can always do:

sudo aptitude install <pkg>

I filed a bug once on a post install script that ate error messages
(normally the scripts display any issues they have).  It got fixed.  But
that was a package problem, not aptitude.