[clue-tech] Computer Woes

A.T. Yuhasz owl5138 at indra.com
Mon Dec 10 13:34:24 MST 2007

After several unsuccessful attempts to install Xubuntu, I have been left
with a puzzling computer condition.

The system in question is:
Dell Dimension XPS T 500
Pentium III 500mhz
256 mb RAM
6mb HD (Original equipment)
20 mb HD (This was installed later and has its own adapter card.)
Windows 98 SE

The 20 mb disk is the boot disk. It is partitioned into C:, E:, F: and G:.
I have been attempting to install on the 6 mb disk which is D:.

As you know, the Ubuntu install program partitions the selected disk.
As part of the recovery process (from the abortive installs) I have
re-formatted disk D.

I have also been into the System Setup screen in order to change the boot
order.
The 6 mb disk does not appear as a device option. ( Like "Secondary IDE
Master" or some such.)

I would like to restore this drive to its former "independent" status.
 Can anyone help?

Having accomplished that, I plan to abandon the idea of installing on that
drive. (It seemed sensible at the time!)
I will re-partition the 20mb drive and then install there or (if I can
muster the patience) bring it to Installfest '08.

Al
A. T. Yuhasz
Denver, CO
owl5138 at indra.com