[clue-tech] Computer Woes

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 10 17:26:40 MST 2007

A.T. Yuhasz wrote:
[...]
> The 20 mb disk is the boot disk. It is partitioned into C:, E:, F: and G:.
> I have been attempting to install on the 6 mb disk which is D:.

So hda1-4 and hdb1, right?

> As you know, the Ubuntu install program partitions the selected disk.
> As part of the recovery process (from the abortive installs) I have
> re-formatted disk D.

What failed during install?

> I would like to restore this drive to its former "independent" status.
> Can anyone help?

What does independent status mean?

> Having accomplished that, I plan to abandon the idea of installing on
> that drive. (It seemed sensible at the time!) I will re-partition
> the 20mb drive and then install there or (if I can muster the
> patience) bring it to Installfest '08.

Installing on the small drive makes sense.  If you can't boot from it
you might give up because it will be more complex.  But booting from the
big drive to Linux on the small drive is trivial.  You could even boot
from a floppy if you don't want to change the big drive's MBR.