[clue-tech] Comcast Smarthost?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Dec 26 21:16:10 MST 2007

Robert L. Harris wrote:
[...]
> Yeah, I tried that (check my initial email) as a comcast customer.
> When I try to telnet to port25 on smtp.comcast.net it eventually

Interesting.  The one server I have on Comcast sends direct.  But it
doesn't send very many places.  I don't have a mail client handy to see
how it's configured for SMTP.

But sending on port 587 to smtp.comcast.net seems to work.

> Ask their support people?  I'll get 1 of two answers:
>
> 1) Reboot my computer
> 2) The internet doesn't work with Linux, only windows..

Sure, if you ask them to set up your server.  But if you ask what the
right settings are they can tell you better than I can.  And it's
probably on their support pages.

They have directions for outgoing mail for a lot of clients.  Can you
send mail from a client?  Is it using port 25?  Get a client to work and
use those settings on your server.