[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Feb 1 17:18:16 MST 2007

Ken MacFerrin wrote:
[...]
> The DD-WRT folks rank them as follows:
>   - Cheapest: Buffalo WHR-G54S
>   - Fastest DD-WRT Performance*: Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
>   - Most memory: Routerboard 532A or Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
>   - Most flexible options (antennas, external storage, etc): Routerboard
> 532A
>   - Best range using built-in antenna: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
> *note: x86 version excluded

I went with the WRT54GL in the end.  It was $10 more than the Buffalo
but there were some reviews that said Buffalo was maybe less reliable.

I won't do the OpenWRT thing for a while but the 54GL is supported.  It
also does WPA2 even though Newegg said only WPA.  So I have no
complaints yet.

I guess the DHCP could be more configurable but you get what you pay
for.  The port triggering happens to be helpful for bacula so that's
kind of a nice surprise.

Thanks again Jim and Kevin for the advice.