[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Feb 1 17:51:39 MST 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Ken MacFerrin wrote:
> [...]
>> The DD-WRT folks rank them as follows:
>>   - Cheapest: Buffalo WHR-G54S
>>   - Fastest DD-WRT Performance*: Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
>>   - Most memory: Routerboard 532A or Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
>>   - Most flexible options (antennas, external storage, etc): Routerboard
>> 532A
>>   - Best range using built-in antenna: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
>> *note: x86 version excluded
>
> I went with the WRT54GL in the end.  It was $10 more than the Buffalo
> but there were some reviews that said Buffalo was maybe less reliable.
>
> I won't do the OpenWRT thing for a while but the 54GL is supported.  It
> also does WPA2 even though Newegg said only WPA.  So I have no
> complaints yet.
>
> I guess the DHCP could be more configurable but you get what you pay
> for.  The port triggering happens to be helpful for bacula so that's
> kind of a nice surprise.

OpenWRT is a great project, but if you want a quick, drop-in replacement
for the stock firmware that has a nice web interface then you might want
to also look at DD-WRT.  This will provide the extras like the ability
to use DNSMasq for DHCP and fully configurable DHCP & DNS options under
the "Administration > Services" menu.  The installation is drop dead
simple and once installed, it can be configured as quickly as the
default firmware would..
-Ken