[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Feb 1 22:54:02 MST 2007

On 2/1/07, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:

> OpenWRT is a great project, but if you want a quick, drop-in replacement
> for the stock firmware that has a nice web interface then you might want
> to also look at DD-WRT.  This will provide the extras like the ability
> to use DNSMasq for DHCP and fully configurable DHCP & DNS options under
> the "Administration > Services" menu.  The installation is drop dead
> simple and once installed, it can be configured as quickly as the
> default firmware would..

Ditto.  DD-WRT running great here.  And all us users should make sure
we send a donation to the guy... nice stuff.  No headaches here at
all.  I even have a mixed "regular" and WDS network using it at the
core, with a WAP54G running standard Linksys firmware as a "client"
(not "client mode", but as a WDS bridge).   I do find my WRT54GS
doesn't always like to reboot properly and "hangs" during reboots like
it didn't quite shutdown correctly -- so I avoid ever doing remote
reboots... but really unless I'm messing around with it, it doesn't
need reboots.  It just runs.

Nate