[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Feb 2 15:25:13 MST 2007

Richard Knechtel wrote:
> I'm using the WRT54GL as well. However It has problems dropping
> connection if you have the router in the basement and a computer
> upstairs. I'm getting about 49% connection and it drops quit frequently.
> Anyone know of a way to like "boost" the connection?

The custom firmware like OpenWRT and DD-WRT provide the ability to boost
the antenna gain using the web interface but the range increase will be
marginal.  You can only boost the signal so much without negatively
affecting the signal/noise ratio.  If that's not enough, then you can
buy longer "range extender" antennae made by Linksys to replace the
stock ones.
-Ken