[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 2 17:11:12 MST 2007

On 2/2/07, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:
> Richard Knechtel wrote:
> > I'm using the WRT54GL as well. However It has problems dropping
> > connection if you have the router in the basement and a computer
> > upstairs. I'm getting about 49% connection and it drops quit frequently.
> > Anyone know of a way to like "boost" the connection?
> >

> The custom firmware like OpenWRT and DD-WRT provide the ability to boost
> the antenna gain using the web interface but the range increase will be
> marginal.  You can only boost the signal so much without negatively
> affecting the signal/noise ratio.  If that's not enough, then you can
> buy longer "range extender" antennae made by Linksys to replace the
> stock ones.

You also run a slight risk of burning out the RF amp in the radio
whenever you turn it up past its rated power limits, which the DD-WRT
screens do warn you about.

You're better off buying the high gain antennas, really.

And also do a site-survey and if you're using 802.11b make sure you're
on channels 1, 6, or 11 in the US.  They're the only channels that
don't overlap to some extent.

Find out what the neighbors are on, and avoid them.  And if you have a
neighbor with an older 2.4 GHz analog cordless phone, good luck.

Generally the antennas marketed by the manufacturer of the device will
take you right to the legal power limits for point-to-multipoint
802.11x in the US.  Add-on high-gain antennas are usually well over
the legal ERP limits for 802.11x but the path losses at 2.4 GHz are so
high that no one really seems to care.

The "WiFi Shootouts" are usually running horrendously illegal power
setups, unless they're putting an Amateur Radio callsign in as the
SSID and using no encryption on Channel 1.

The free-for-all with no regulation being enforced started in 900 MHz,
now it's up into 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz... where it stops, is only a
matter of physics and path losses...

Nate