[clue-tech] DSL providers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Feb 14 13:34:33 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <xonker at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Any suggestions for providers other than Qwest?

Virtually any provider you choose for DSL is going to use Qwest for
their "last mile" connectivity.  Whether or not you get a bundled bill
is up to the provider.  I've used Front Range Internet (frii.net) for
years with Qwest as the last mile... PPPoA.  Works great, nice to not
have to call the Qwest-bulk-end-user-drone call center when problems
arise, which truly has been rare.  But knowing that FRII has a clue
means less overall stress/worry if I ever do have to call.

> 2) Is it possible to get DSL without having a regular phone line? I
> have Comcast Digital Voice, so I don't really need another telephone
> line...

Yes, and the Qwest drones will have a hard time finding it in their
sales drone system.  I referred to it as "Naked" DSL which prompted a
flurry of activity on the other end of the phone while the poor sales
rep found a supervisor with clue... but yes, it is tarriffed and
available.  It costs (if I remember correctly) an additional $5 a
month on the Qwest portion of the circuit.

If you don't have a current home phone, they'll have fun finding your
location to tell you if DSL is available there, also -- but they CAN
do it... just be persistent.  If you know a previous phone number
there, sometimes that helps.

Nate