[clue-tech] DSL providers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Feb 14 21:52:22 MST 2007

On 2/14/07, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:38:43 -0700
> Nate Duehr wrote:
>
> > their screens require that you
> > have one... either themselves (which is actually MSN these days, not
> > really Qwest -- if you're a residential customer, although if you talk
> > to them correctly you can use Qwest and business users get Qwest's
> > infrastructure also), or another ISP.
>
> Which screens are you talking about?

Their ordering and provisioning screens.

> > I think an order for a DSL circuit "without an ISP termination" would
> > go nowhere fast in Qwest's system... if you used that terminology and
> > they handled it, great... they just put in the default -- themselves
> > or MSN.  Their order-taker kids really don't know the difference, but
> > their supervisors (usually) do.
>
> Wrong. It's what I have. What is so hard about that?

Doubt it.  Send me your public IP address, and I can tell you who's
your ISP... if you didn't have one, you wouldn't be sending your
message.

> > But the definition of an ISP still stands...
>
> Except that that's not how it's used by those who provision service -- at
> least not those who take orders for Qwest.

Not when I talked to them.  They clearly stated my ISP was FRII.  You
either had to have them, or someone else.

(And if you don't -- you can't route to the backbone.)

> Bah!

Ha... so what's your IP address?  Let's see who your ISP is.  I
*guarantee* it's registered with ARIN.

Nate