[clue-tech] God save us from "user-friendly" distros

adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Feb 15 16:04:04 MST 2007

David, I usually configure additional interfaces in Ubuntu by
hand-editing /etc/network/interfaces .    Copy the entry for your
current interface and you'll be fine.

Regarding bonding, it's very easy.   There's a lot of help on the net to
give you a hand.  Thumbnail:  apt-get install ifenslave-2.6, and then
edit your interfaces file, using bond0 instead of eth0, and ifenslaving
the interfaces.   This site here has good info:
http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-ethernet-bonding-configuration.html

And your config will look like this:

iface bond0 inet static
address 10.31.1.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.31.1.0
gateway 10.31.1.254
up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0
up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth1

I only have cheapie switches at my house, so the fastest Ive been able
to get things running is about 18-20Mbit under linux with three cards on
each end.   I imagine if I had real switches I'd get more throughput.
Obviously, 3 cards won't get you 300Mbit,  but at least you'll get more
than 100 Mbit.

I used bonding for a while, but then got sick of it since I don't do
THAT much transferring and it's a lot of cables.  It is nice however, to
not have to wait so much to transfer files.   If you want any help, feel
free to write me off list.

Adam