[clue-tech] DSL providers

William wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com
Thu Feb 15 16:39:31 MST 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> William wrote:
> [...]
>> Examples:
>> 1.)  FRII is both an ISP and a Hosting Service Provider.
>> 2.)  GoDaddy is a Hosting Service Provider, but is NOT an ISP.
>> 3.)  I can't, off-hand, think of any ISP that is not also a Hosting
>> Service Provider -- it is usually more profitable for ISPs to be both.
>
> Jed already told you that QWest was providing #3 for him.  So there's
> your example.
>
> Dave

Incorrect, and I'll explain why for educational benefit -- I truly do
not seek to argue as this material is mostly intellectual and I hope I'm
helping solidify our language and common understanding.

Qwest is the "line" provider, representing the "physical link layer" of
the network protocol.  Run a traceroute outside your LAN to see for
yourself that Qwest is not routing TCP/UDP traffic.  The first hop
outside your LAN is *not* a Qwest router [unless Qwest is *also* your
ISP].  For example, I use FRII DSL with Qwest as my line provider.
After passing through my firewall, then my perimeter router, my "first
hop outside my LAN" is FRII's DSL consumer gateway -- I never see any
Qwest hops [unless I happen to be running a traceroute into Qwest's
network on purpose, but that puts Qwest's routers at the end of the
route, not the start].

To illustrate with an alternative example:  When we all used dial-up
modems, we didn't think of our telephone company as our ISP.  The
twisted-pair copper line was just the physical link between us and our ISP.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion,

William

believed to be clean.