[clue-tech] DSL providers

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:40:26 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, William <wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com> wrote:

> Hex Star wrote:
> >
> >     Welllllll... not to belabor this TOO much, because it doesn't
> >     matter -- but...
> >
> Please do!  This is educational for everyone and fits both the thread
> topic and the mailing list.  :)
> >
> >     Qwest *is* actually providing routing -- and there's plenty of
> routers
> >     involved between your DSL connection and FRII... you just can't SEE
> >     them because you're on what's called a "Virtual Private Connection"
> >     over ATM.
> >
> Yes, and that's a different kind of routing than what I was attempting
> to illustrate, of course (which you noted later).  :)
> >
> >     [Another interesting side-note to this is that the MTU of a PPPoA
> >     connection isn't big enough to hold a full 1500 MTU Ethernet frame.
> >     It fragments.  You can often help your through-put on Qwest DSL by
> >     setting your MTU's appropriately for the lowest-common-denominator
> >     transport -- in this case PPPoA -- so you're not fragmenting every
> >     packet that has a full payload at the DSL "modem".]
> >
> I see comments on this from time to time, but I've never seen a good
> explanation nor any authoritative best-practices.  Some literature says
> to set MTU as big as possible and let the fragmentation occur -- citing
> relatively inconsequential repacking delay (fragmentation being an
> expected aspect of modern networking).  On the other hand, I've never
> seen anyone recommend a too-small MTU size.  Across the board, what MTU
> setting do you recommend?
> >
> >     Nate
> >

> > Why do you guys make getting access to the internet so complicated by
> > choosing some company that deals through another company for you? Why
> > not just make things simple by choosing one of the following bigger
> > ISPs which'll probably be much cheaper and support many more areas:
> > AT&T or Comcast?
> Simply put:  to get a better deal (and truly, it's not that complicated;
> for example:  just one phone call to FRII gets everything set up for you
> with both FRII and Qwest).  We generally enjoy better service (smaller
> ISPs tend to have more knowledgeable and responsive technical staff),
> better performance (we're not competing against so many other users at
> once -- cable, after all, is a shared link), and more freedom (we
> generally pay less for services like dedicated IPA subnets).  [This
> opinion is based on historical experience.  I realize company strategies
> change all the time and I can't say with evidence that these advantages
> still hold true today; though I expect they do.]
>
> William
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

I find it funny how people constantly point out that neighbors share the
same pipe, while the same is true for any other broadband connection except
instead of it being shared at the neighborhood area, you're sharing the data
center connection...so no matter what there's still a bottleneck...

as for more knowledgeable people, I've found Comcast support to be very
good...there is no wait time and the techs on the phone if you request
something technical to be done they waste no time transferring your call to
level 2 support who always know how to take care of your technical support
request...Comcast to me despite its large user base, due to the way it acts
it feels to me like a small company because they actually throw off the
presence that they care about the customer from the live chat, forums, and
no wait time to the affordable price and great speeds...and really, their
network has no bandwidth issues at all..in fact it has more bandwidth then
they know what to do with as as of late they've been providing connections
of 22mbps+ due to all the extra bandwidth they have...so really I don't see
the issue with Comcast (AT&T I can understand though...I hate monopolies,
their support sucks, they are uncaring corporate mongrels who just want your
money and provide overall unsatisfactory service)...

and heh, just looked at FRII and they're a DSL provider...that IMO means
they're even less flexible then a cable broadband ISP like Comcast because
the farther away you are from their central office the slower your
connection which is not the case with cable broadband...